Monday, November 14, 2011

Final Research Paper Idea


For my final research paper, I want to discuss how the media has change American’s perspective on such a catastrophic event such as September 11th. While reading True Enough, I realized how jaded some perspectives of 9/11 are as a result of the medias response, even a decade later. My starting question is, why can we never be satisfied with accepting the facts of what happened? People feel the need to keep digging, as if they will find more information when the facts are right in front of them. From reading True Enough, I learned a little bit more information on the conspiracy theories surrounding September 11th. I am looking forward to watching the documentary Loose Change and hearing more about Dylan Avery’s thoughts.

From a simple Google search of “9/11 conspiracy theories,” I received over four million links. One of the first ones I found was titled, “The 11 Most Compelling Conspiracy Theories of 9/11.” The fact that there are eleven widely accepted conspiracy theories surrounding the devastating event is shocking to me. Scrolling through the website, I watched a link from Loose Change that made a very compelling argument about how it would have been almost impossible for so many phone calls to have been made from 32,000 feet in the air, the usual cruising altitude for commercial airlines. Avery makes claims that seem legitimate, but in the context of September 11th, just could not be possible.

I am interested in finding out if there is a large group of people who believe in these conspiracy theories and if there are more legitimate articles with facts proving that 9/11 was not just a random terrorist attack. This topic personally interests me because I live an hour outside of New York City and know many families who were affected by this horrible tragedy. I think it is incredibly rude and inappropriate for Americans to think the American government could have executed that 9/11. I think it is especially inappropriate that people think that the phone calls from the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center were pre recorded or made up. I am really looking forward to finding out more information about the conspiracy theories and how the media has changed our perception of this catastrophic event.

No comments:

Post a Comment