Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Ambassadorship Presentation

For my ambassadorship presentation, I discussed how our society has lost sight of the important people and now consider politicians (especially the President and the First Lady) celebrities. I found a video that shows this in which Obama Discusses Bieber. Our society has become centered around celebrities and even makes our President out to be one. Although I did compare Obama and his wife to JFK and Jackie O, I think technology has increased their prominence. I found a website, Michelle Obama: Fashion Icon, that perfectly displays this. I saw a big connection with True Enough because with a quote form Manjoo in which he remarks, "You can go so far as to say we're now fighting over competing versions of reality."
I also found an article that goes into further depth of the "True Enough" Connection.

I was really interested in the presentations that my classmates made. I thought Rob's was especially interesting because he was not discussing the subject of his video, but rather who was sharing the information. I think as viewers, we just accept TV reporters to be who they say they are, which most of the time is described as an "expert on the subject." Rob has made me really pay attention to who is telling me information, rather than just assuming they're credible and listening to their info. 
I also really enjoyed Kiely's presentation on Hollywood's portrayal of CEO's and other business executives as villains. Especially with The Social Network, it is easy to see how the media has made them out to be the bad guys. I think it will be interesting to see the movie The Margin Call and see how they could be portrayed as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment